Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Yup, This is the Year

This is the year to:

1.     Run a half marathon
2.       Learn to bake bread
3.       Check out Krohn Conservatory
4.       Loosen up
5.       Plant my own herbs
6.       Study yoga
7.       Update my style
8.       Go to the dentist every six months
9.       Visit the Contemporary Arts Center and the Taft Museum of Art
10.   Get a week’s worth of groceries at Findlay Market
11.   Join Toastmasters
12.   Buy in bulk
13.   Take an official “Cincinnati Tour”
14.   Sharpen my knives
15.   Join a book club
16.   Go antiquing
17.   See live jazz at Schwartz Point
18.   Take Donnie to Kings Island
19.   Attend our Community Council meetings
20.   Watch “Grey Gardens”
21.   Eat at Boca
22.   Entertain
23.   Spring clean
24.   Start doing regular breast exams
25.   Make a craft from Pinterest
26.   Go to Devou Park
27.   Ride the Metro
28.   Finish “A People’s History of the United States”
29.   Build a stand-up desk
30.   Give up Diet Coke
31.   … And cable

This project begins with a confession:  I like to say “no”. 
Most often, “no” is often an attempt to simplify my schedule and give myself an hour or two of downtime:  No, I’ll pass on brunch, I need a day with nothing on the calendar.    
Sometimes “no” is a philosophical response to a world with too much unnecessary stuff:  No, I don’t need a new pair of boots, the old ones are fine. 
But too often, “no” is nothing but laziness and procrastination:  No, I’ll wipe down the baseboards next weekend.
Most of the items on this list are not things that will change my life or make me a better person.  They aren’t radical and most of them aren’t even very ambitious.  These are probably not things that will be mentioned in my obituary (In 2014, she sharpened her knives.).  This is not a bucket list.
In a way, this project is simply about saying “yes” to a bunch of things that I have been putting off.   More importantly, is about making sure that I live the life of the person I want to be at this stage in my life.  Writing about it will hold me accountable and force me to pause and reflect. 
Here we go! 
 
#thisistheyear

5 comments:

  1. Number 24 could also be referred to as a pap smear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Jennie, the pap smear story was probably one of the hardest laughs I had in 2013! Want to do number 20 with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will accomplish all that is on your 'yup' list! Keep us posted. -Lisa

    ReplyDelete