Monday, January 20, 2014

#15) Join a Book Club


Since I upgraded from a clunky old Blackberry to a legitimate smart phone last January, I’ve read fewer books than I have in any year since I started reading.  I blame Twitter. 

Lately, 90% of my reading is accomplished through clicking the links on my Twitter feed.  This has been a jackpot of short and spontaneous reads that I wouldn’t have stumbled upon otherwise.  10 Strength Training Exercises for Runners?  25 Tips to Make Your Neighborhood More Livable?  Why is Pitbull and Ke$ha’s “Timber”  No. 1?  Done, done, and done. 
But my attention span is seriously suffering. 

I even struggle to read the books that I take the time to reserve on my library list.   I might read 75 pages, renew it once or twice, and find that I have to take it back or pay the late fee.  There is really no excuse for not being able to finish a book in nine weeks. 
This is why I’m looking for a book club.  I need something more compelling than a 10 cent late fine to motivate me to see a book through to the last page.
Here is what I’m looking for in a book club:
1)      Wine.  I realize this may sound pathetic, but if you can rehash Little Bee without a glass of Tempranillo, more power to you.  Beer would be okay, too. 

2)      Popularity.  While I can appreciate the allure of an obscure title, I think it would be best to use some lists to narrow our selections.  Like the annual New York Times Best Books List, or Goodread’s Book Club list, or even Buzz Feed’s 26 Books that Will Change the Way You See the World.  It’s not that I don’t trust peoples’ recommendations, but working from lists ensures third-party vetting.  It also ensures that people outside of the book club will have read the selection, which will allow for more literary discussions in the workplace and at cocktail parties.   

3)    Regularity.  The third Wednesday, the fourth Tuesday, it doesn’t matter.  Just a schedule to hold everyone accountable.  If people can’t make it every month or even every other month, no big deal.  Come and go as you please!

That’s it.  Anyone know of a book club that meets these criteria?  If not, anyone interested in starting one? 
-K.  

No comments:

Post a Comment