Saturday, May 31, 2014

My Chill Pinterest Twin

7) Update My Style:  One of the reasons I put “update my style” on the list is that I’ve had the same pair of glasses since 2007.  Because I only wear them at night, they are coated in all the various potions that I have applied to my face before bed since 2007, including Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide.  The other problem with the old glasses is that they had a zigzag pattern of rhinestones on the temple.  This was cool in 2007 (I think) but by 2014, half of the rhinestones had fallen out. 

No problem, if I’m only wearing them for the 30 minutes between when I take out my contacts and when my head hits the pillow. Donnie is the only person that sees me and he doesn’t care that I’m missing a few rhinestones.  But every year or so, my contacts will start to irritate my eyes and I’ll have to wear the offending glasses to work. 
Here is the really embarrassing part.  Before I would wear them to work, I would take a brown magic marker and cover up the white film from the face product.  Last December, I couldn’t find a brown marker so I used black which gave the whole thing a sweet tortoiseshell look. 
Then I wore them running and my sweat caused the magic marker to run down my face. 
Have I driven home the point that it was time for a new pair of glasses? 
I found this gal on Pinterest two years ago and thought she sort of looked like me and that her glasses were cute:


I’ll admit that this style of glasses is no longer cutting edge and I’m probably jumping on the bandwagon right at the end of the parade, but here are my new specs:

 

15) Join a Book Club: I haven’t said much about my book club on here, but we’ve been meeting since February and in all seriousness it has seriously enriched my life.  There is nothing more satisfying than a substantive conversation over a glass of wine.  
4) Loosen Up:  Speaking of Book Club, on Thursday, we were scheduled to meet at my house at 7:00 and at 2:30 I got a text from Donnie that a pop-up storm had knocked out the power to our entire neighborhood.  When I got home from work around 5:00, the power was still out.  I had made a lovely pesto orzo with zucchini and feta and I was crushed at the thought of it rotting away in my fridge, which I could tell was beginning to thaw out because of the puddles of water accumulating on the floor.  Also, I really didn’t want to serve lukewarm drinks. 
The worst part was, I hadn’t vacuumed in three days and I was faced with the prospect of having company come over and see my dirty floors. 
I had a moment where I had a conversation with myself that went like this:  “Now is a good time to practice loosening up.  Be Zen about this and accept that none of these things are that big of a deal.  Nobody cares about your floors.  Orzo is delicious at room temperature.  We can drink red wine instead of white, and talk about Unbroken over candlelight.”   
Instead, I paced the living room frantically wringing my hands and willing the lights to come back on. 
Which they did at 6:25.  Thanks to all my hand wringing. 
I think part of my problem with #4 is that I don’t really want to loosen up.  Being uptight is part of my personality.  Why change that?  What possessed me to put this on the list?

Besides, if I were suddenly relaxed all the time would you even recognize me?  Or would you mistake me for my chill Pinterest twin?  
 
 
From the looks of her, she probably doesn't vacuum before Book Club. 

-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment