Saturday, May 3, 2014

Officially (Literally) Lame

A few signs that I am officially (literally) lame:

1)      It’s Friday night and I just spent two hours researching—and hoping that I have—bursitis.  
2)      I had scrambled eggs for dinner and bananas for dessert. 
3)      Bananas.
4)      I can't figure out how to turn on the television:

Although this blue screen is maddening, it might be an indication that I am close to cutting off the cable (#31).
Donnie knows how to turn on the tv, but he’s out in the world socializing like a normal person on a Friday evening. 
A few updates:
6) Study Yoga:  I bought a new Groupon to the Bikram Yoga studio in Madisonville.  Of all the yoga practices I’ve experimented with this year, this is the one that gets me closest to Zen.  Maybe because the temperature in the room is set at 110 degrees and the heat causes me to slip in and out of a hallucinogenic state.  It’s like a sweat lodge.  And when I’m done, don’t bother trying to have a conversation with me because I’ll be catatonic for at least several hours afterwards.  I made the mistake of meeting some friends for lunch after my second class and I could barely string together a sentence as I shoveled food and water down my gullet. 
1) Run a Half Marathon:  I tried, I really did.  But after my third week of 9 + mile Sunday long runs, the dull, hollow ache of an impending stress fracture crept into my hip. I’m going to the sports physician on Thursday.  Best case scenario is bursitis (see above). 
15) Join a Book Club: I’ve successfully hosted two sessions of “Books and Booze” and have been reading my way through Unbroken, which is the selection for May’s event. 
7) Update my Style: This is the best outfit I’ve managed to put together lately.  None of these pieces are new.  Two of them were purchased from Goodwill (shoes and jacket) and the flimsy little dress is from Target.  Pure class.

11) Join Toastmasters: Two meetings down and I’m scheduled to give my “Icebreaker” speech on May 19th.  I was originally going to do a bit called “My Life in Spreadsheets” but it felt like a cry for help.  Speaking of spreadsheets, I created a point system to track my progress towards the thirty-one things I have to accomplish this year.  In case you think my lack of posts on my progress means I've not made any, here is evidence that I've been busy:

 
Booyah.

 

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at #6. It made me curious to try hot yoga sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, you should definitely try hot yoga. It made me feel so good that I went around the next day telling everyone how good I felt.

    ReplyDelete