Saturday, August 30, 2014

Cable, Basil, & a Flea Bag Motel


#31: Give Up Cable:  Well, we finally pulled the plug.  I knew it was time when Jenelle from Teen Mom 2 got a new lawyer and I barely noticed.  So far I’m not missing being able to veg out on the couch, but I’m not the only person who lives in this house so we’ll see how long this lasts.



 

Caption: Feeling smug about our cancelation paperwork.

 

I should point out that this is not our first time being a cable-free household.  We didn’t have cable when we lived in New Mexico, and sometimes we would go stay in a hotel just to watch “LA Ink” and “Flip This House.”
 
I use the word “hotel” lightly, by the way.  At best, these places were “motels”. At worst they were “flea bag motels.”  But they had cable.  
 
Don’t worry:  the first time I’m tempted to go get a room at the roadhouse, I’ll be back on the horn with Cincinnati Bell.


#1: Run a Half Marathon: I registered for the Queen Bee, which is October 11th.  I’ve been in FULL TRAINING MODE, which basically means I’m eating everything in sight.  Last night I found myself in the kitchen at midnight, eating half a jar of peanut butter with a spoon.  When I finally came to bed, Donnie asked what I had been doing and I had to admit that I had been “smashing.”  This was after I had eaten TWO black bean burgers and a peanut butter brownie for dinner.  

If anyone tries to tell you that distance running will make you lose weight, don’t believe them. Running just makes you hungry.  

The good news is I feel great, especially considering that in May I was limping from a phantom stress fracture.  And last weekend I ran farther than I’ve ever run in my life: 13.25 miles.  This is longer than a half-marathon so I feel half inclined to go ahead and check the box next to this one, but it wasn’t in a race so I don’t know if it technically meets my “This is the Year” goal.  

But as long as I can stay injury-free (and stay off Web MD) until October I should be fine.  
 



Caption:  Feeling smug after a long run.
 
#6: Study Yoga:  I forgot to mention that when Donnie and I went to Michigan at the beginning of this month, we put on a running and yoga camp for ourselves. The way this worked is that every morning Donnie would accompany me on a training run and every evening I would lead a 30-minute yoga flow.  Except while I was leading the yoga flow, Donnie would be sitting in the bedroom drinking a beer and watching the tube.  
 
This was my view during evening yoga:  
 


 
#5: Plant My Own Herbs:  Since I moved my basil to the back porch and let the sun apply its mystical powers of photosynthesis, this bush has really blossomed.  Here is a photo progression:  


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The last two photos are two of the things I’ve made with my homegrown basil:  zucchini-basil tacos and basil-gouda snacks for our Sunday block party.  

 
#15: Join a Book Club:  We had our August book club meeting at Ashley and Tony's house by their pool.  The selection was, appropriately, “We are Water”.  
 
Donnie kicked some book club butt by providing a detailed analysis of the allusions to Greek mythology.  It’s great and also slightly irritating to have someone with two degrees in English Literature/Creative Writing in the book club.  Sometimes I just want to give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down and throw one back.  
 
Just kidding.  
 
 
Sort of.


-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment