Friday, April 18, 2014

#26) Go to Devou Park


Nothing compares to a picnic before the Cincinnati skyline.  Especially if it happens to be on the first warm day of spring.  Especially if the spring happens to follow the coldest winter. 

It has been said that the best view of Cincinnati is not in Cincinnati, but from Covington’s Devou Park.  According to the park’s webpage, Devou offers 704 acres of green space in the urban core.  For context, this is nearly as big as Central Park, which comes in at 843 acres. 
I first learned about Devou Park when a young couple visited it on one of the Teen Mom adoption episodes.  Since then, plenty of people that I actually know have vouched for its great view.  But I had never been!  I always felt like Cincinnati had so many vistas to choose from I didn’t need to leave the city to see the city.  But this is the year. 
On Saturday afternoon, I got down to the important business of packing my picnic:

A bottle of Two Buck Chuck (now $3) fits nicely inside a Swell insulator.  I also made a kale and kalamata salad and brought a block of gouda, some grapes, and a bar of dark chocolate. 
Donnie had a long run planned for the next day, so for him I packed four slices of homemade whole wheat bread (#2), half a box of angel hair pasta, and leftover rice and naan from takeout Indian.   
We drove through the quaint winding streets of Covington and then up an impossibly steep hill to get to the park:
 

The view is every bit as breathtaking as the Teen Moms and everyone else had led me to believe.  Although, per usual, the camera on my phone can’t begin to do it justice.
 
 
 

As we snacked on our kale and our carbs, we were surrounded by couples celebrating all manner of milestones:  high schoolers were posing for prom pictures, an outdoor wedding was taking place on the pavilion, and a pregnant couple was accompanied by a professional photographer who was  taking “belly shots" (not pictured):

Meanwhile, we took smudgy selfies. 

It was a lovely evening for all of these activities. 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment