Friday, March 28, 2014

#7) Update My Style

Sigh.  This is something I’m pretty lazy about.  Couple this with my tendencies towards being a cheapskate and you’ve got a pretty lackluster professional wardrobe. Most of my outfits fit squarely within a formula that goes like this: 

Banana Republic trouser pant + TJ Maxx top + random cardigan + sensible heel = passable work wear
The other half of my closet consists of what Donnie likes to call “Wow Wear” and is made up of items I salvaged from the Albuquerque Buffalo Exchange in 2005 and are now barely appropriate to wear in public on the weekends.  For an example, please refer to the embroidered hoodie I was wearing in my post about baking bread. 
This year I’ve been accumulating a few new pieces here and there to try to project a more stylish and polished image.  I’ve got a long way to go, but here’s a week’s worth of outfits, each of which include something I’ve picked up over the past few months.  Keep in mind this is after I started paying attention but before I can claim I’ve achieved any semblance of “style”.
Monday: olive blazer (Dillards outlet—thanks for the recommendation, Naomi!), blue and white striped shirt (Gap), black pants (Target), tan purse (TJ Maxx), snakeskin shoes (BCBG):

Tuesday: gray trouser pants (Banana Republic), red and black chevron top (Dillard’s Outlet), black cardigan (Banana Republic), black kitten heel (Nine West):

Wednesday: wrap dress (Loft), black tights (Target), black boots (Kenneth Cole):
Thursday: boho top (Jones New York), tan trouser pants (Banana Republic), brown peep-toe heels (Ann Taylor):

Casual Friday: Fossil jeans, black fleur de lis top (TJ Maxx), hounds tooth scarf (Target), white pinstriped blazer (?), red snakeskin kitten heels (Blandino):

The whole reason for this entry is that I don’t want to be a frumpy middle-aged women who wears the same five patterned tops on rotation.  It’s only through my Pinterest that I have an alternative to strive for.  Otherwise I’d be totally lost.  Like a twenty-two year-old wandering aimlessly through the Buffalo Exchange trying to pull off Mary-Kate Olsen's infamous grandma chicWhat I’ve noticed about the outfits I “repin” as a grown-ass woman is that the formula tends to go something like this:
bold pattern + blazer + unexpected contrast + form fitting + unique accessory = style!
I think I should stencil this formula on the back of my closet door.  So here’s the plan:  I’ll try to build on this pattern for the rest of the year and do another update once I feel like I’m making progress.  If you see me in the meantime and I’ve got on a bland pair of trouser pants and a cardigan, please remind me that THIS IS THE YEAR!
-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment